News

1959

Posted: April 7, 2015

1959

Mr Charles T. Darling and his wife, Joan Gibson-Craig-Carmichael, founded Craighouse School. It began as a bilingual boys’ school in a rented house at La Concepción 236 with a roll of 58 pupils, a quarter of whom were boarders. The name of the school stems from Mrs Darling’s surname Craig, to which the word ‘house’ was added to reflect its family-oriented ethos.

1962

Posted: April 6, 2015

1962

In July 1962 Craighouse School moved to a large mansion in Apoquindo 5412, which again proved to be too small to accommodate the increasing demand for places.

1965

Posted: April 5, 2015

1965

In 1965, with the aim of meeting its ever-growing need for further development in infrastructure, a private company – Inmobiliaria Craighouse S.A. – was created, in which all parents at the time became shareholders.

1967

Posted: April 4, 2015

1967

In 1967 the school began a gradual move to its new premises at the intersection of Manquehue and Apoquindo, where the first Kindergarten level was opened.

1971

Posted: April 3, 2015

1971

1971 marked the closing of the boarding school and the admission of the first girls. It was also the year when Mr Charles T. Darling, founder and headmaster, passed away. Mr Willy Pérez succeeded him in the role of headmaster, while Mrs Darling continued as Director General until she retired in 2002.

1976

Posted: April 2, 2015

1981 In 1976 Mrs Darling received the MBE (Member of the British Empire) from Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II for her commitment and diffusion of British culture outside Great Britain

1976 and 1978

Posted: April 1, 2015

1976b Between 1976 and 1978 two new sites were acquired in La Dehesa.

1981

Posted: March 31, 2015

lGabriela Mistral On June 5th 1981, Mrs Darling was presented with the “Orden al Mérito Docente y Cultura Gabriela Mistral” by the Chilean government during the inauguration of the new building in La Dehesa.

1990

Posted: March 30, 2015

Fundación educacional-01On May 31st 1990 in order to further the school’s original goals and consolidate its institutional status, the Charles T. Darling Educational Foundation was granted legal status under Supreme Justice Decree No. 763.

1993

Posted: March 29, 2015

1993 The school was authorised by the International Baccalaureate Organisation (IBO) to offer the IB Diploma programme to pupils of Years 11 and 12.