Our History / Timeline

Picture

Today

2015 Presently Craighouse School has nine Science labs, eleven mini Music studios, six Music rooms, three Visual Arts rooms, two technology rooms, four IT rooms, five Religion rooms and two inquiry centres, all of which have been designed to meet the educational needs of the 21st century. Our facilities allow us to have approximately twenty pupils per class, in order to further enhance our Educational Project. For sports the school has four grass fields for football, rugby and athletics; and two state-of-the-art synthetic fields for hockey. The facilities include changing rooms for pupils, referees and staff, an infirmary and a quincho, built and equipped to the highest standards of technology available, to provide our families and community with a comfortable meeting place.

Today
Picture

2014

2014-diciembre On December 8th 2014, Mrs Darling passed away. She lived to the age of 95, and was able to see her school safely installed on the new campus. It was as if she had waited for this time to move on herself. Reverend Alfred Cooper led the service in the school, where the community bid farewell to this extraordinary woman.

2014
Picture

2013

2013-marzo On March 28th 2013 Mr Fernando Siña Gardner, president of the Charles T. Darling Educational Foundation, presided over the inauguration of these new Craighouse School buildings. The traditional ribbon-cutting ceremony was carried out in the presence of all pupils and teachers. Our founder, Mrs Joan Darling, her daughter Judith and her son Richard attended the ceremony where we remembered the early days when Mr Charles T. Darling and his wife had given life to Craighouse School 55 years before.

2013
Picture

2011

2011-agosto In August 2011 work began on earth moving, and with it, the second stage, which included the building of the new school, with modern facilities

2011
Picture

2009

2009 On November 7th 2009, the new playing fields on Av Paseo Pie Andino 8837 were inaugurated, making the end of the first stage of the Craighouse School Campus Project. The school has two grass fields for football, rugby and athletics; and two state-of-the-art synthetic fields for hockey

2009
Picture

2008

2008-ib-pyp-colour-en 2008-ib-myp-colour-en 2008-ib-dp-colour-en The school was granted full IB status. It currently offers the three complete programmes: PYP (Primary Years Programme) MYP (Middle Years Programme) y DP (Diploma Programme).

2008
Picture

2007

2007 In 2007 the Board of Directors made the decision to sell the school’s playing fields on José Alcalde Délano and buy 24 hectares of land on Av. Paseo Pie Andino, Lo Barnechea. This visionary step allowed Craighouse School to accommodate both school and playing fields on a single integrated campus, the only one of its kind in Latin America.

2007
Picture

2004

In 2004 the school embarked on an extensive curriculum revision. The result is a curriculum with an inquiry-based focus, which prepares pupils from Playgroup to Year 12 to develop high academic standards.

2004
Picture

1994

1994 In 1994 Mr Peter Lacey was appointed headmaster, a position that he holds until the present. Under his leadership, and with the close collaboration of Mrs Darling, the school’s first Educational Project was written. This document clearly defines the philosophy, values and principles that guide the school.

1994
Picture

1993

1993 The school was authorised by the International Baccalaureate Organisation (IBO) to offer the IB Diploma programme to pupils of Years 11 and 12.

1993
Picture

1990

Fundación educacional-01On May 31st 1990 in order to further the school’s original goals and consolidate its institutional status, the Charles T. Darling Educational Foundation was granted legal status under Supreme Justice Decree No. 763.

1990
Picture

1981

lGabriela Mistral On June 5th 1981, Mrs Darling was presented with the “Orden al Mérito Docente y Cultura Gabriela Mistral” by the Chilean government during the inauguration of the new building in La Dehesa.

1981
Picture

1976 and 1978

1976b Between 1976 and 1978 two new sites were acquired in La Dehesa.

1976 and 1978
Picture

1976

1981 In 1976 Mrs Darling received the MBE (Member of the British Empire) from Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II for her commitment and diffusion of British culture outside Great Britain

1976
Picture

1971

1971

1971 marked the closing of the boarding school and the admission of the first girls. It was also the year when Mr Charles T. Darling, founder and headmaster, passed away. Mr Willy Pérez succeeded him in the role of headmaster, while Mrs Darling continued as Director General until she retired in 2002.

1971
Picture

1967

1967

In 1967 the school began a gradual move to its new premises at the intersection of Manquehue and Apoquindo, where the first Kindergarten level was opened.

1967
Picture

1965

1965

In 1965, with the aim of meeting its ever-growing need for further development in infrastructure, a private company – Inmobiliaria Craighouse S.A. – was created, in which all parents at the time became shareholders.

1965
Picture

1962

1962

In July 1962 Craighouse School moved to a large mansion in Apoquindo 5412, which again proved to be too small to accommodate the increasing demand for places.

1962
Picture

1959

1959

Mr Charles T. Darling and his wife, Joan Gibson-Craig-Carmichael, founded Craighouse School. It began as a bilingual boys’ school in a rented house at La Concepción 236 with a roll of 58 pupils, a quarter of whom were boarders. The name of the school stems from Mrs Darling’s surname Craig, to which the word ‘house’ was added to reflect its family-oriented ethos.

1959
Picture

Cast Musical 60 Years


Cast Musical 60 Years
Picture

Production Team

Production Team